Monday, August 3, 2009

From baby to big girl!

I have a beautiful Two and a half year old daughter. I am trying to transition from a baby to a big girl. My problem is potty training. Is she ready? Or maybe am I ready for her to become a big girl. It seems like we have been in potty training mode forever and ever. Making things even more difficult and putting more pressure on the situation is having another baby on the way.
I have tried many different methods to what I call this potty training. Family and friends have given many ideas, good and bad of course. My latest is the potty chart. I have organized a chart. For example if she asks to use the bathroom, if she actually goes to the bathroom or if she goes on her own she is rewarded. Her rewards include sticker, candy, and lots of positive reinforcement. She of course loves all the rewards but I m not sure if she get the whole picture yet. I don’t think honestly she is a hundred percent ready to be a big girl yet.
Another idea I learned about was using visuals. Examples videos, books and even they make potty training dolls. I started out kind of slow. One of the videos my daughter has been watching is about boys and girls discovering the potty. They learn all aspects of the bathroom from the potty chair to washing are hands when we are all done. This method has given me some hope. She gets excited on using the potty and especially playing in the water. I have learned if you aren’t consistent day to day it’s like starting all over again. This gets very discouraging. I have realized that my daughter would also rather use the big potty then her little one. That’s why I went out and purchased her a little step stool of her own.
To me time is of the essence. She is almost three and I thought most three years olds were potty trained but I have learned otherwise. I have heard from many of my friends there children were not potty trained until they were three or older. They gave me another idea. Just throwing out the diapers and going strait to regular underwear. Just letting her learn about accidents, and what happens when the diapers are all gone. That it’s messy and my friends say within a few days there children started potty training themselves and the diapers were long gone.
I know that potty training has been one of my biggest challenges yet. In trying to get ready for the new baby maybe it’s been just too much pressure on her and me. We are much closer than we were in the beginning. She seems to be coming more aware and if she’s not ready yet than we will just wait it out. My biggest thing is as long as she’s ready than that’s what will make me happy. Also if you have children its bad enough to have one in diapers as expensive it will be to have two in diapers. So I guess we will see if my little girl will be a big girl before she becomes a big sister.


Written By
Kimberly Laten in 2007

0 comments: